For the Donuts:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar or a sugar substitute (like Stevia)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (replaces some of the fat)
- 1/4 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup skim milk (or almond milk for fewer calories)
- 1 egg (or egg substitute)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar or a sugar substitute
- 1-2 tablespoons skim milk (adjust for desired consistency)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and grease a donut pan with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar or sugar substitute, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix the applesauce, Greek yogurt, milk, egg, and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Gradually add the wet mixture to the dry mixture, stirring until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Spoon the batter into the donut pan, filling each cavity about two-thirds full.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until the donuts are lightly golden and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
- Let the donuts cool in the pan for a few minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, prepare the glaze by mixing the powdered sugar or sugar substitute, milk, and vanilla extract until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Dip the cooled donuts into the glaze or drizzle the glaze over the donuts.
- Let the glaze set for a few minutes, and then enjoy your lighter Krispy Kreme-style donuts!