- 12 mozzarella sticks
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten with 1 Tbsp water
- 1/3 cup Italian style bread crumbs – use gluten-free if needed
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika or smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Place flour in the ziplock bag, whisk the egg in a small, shallow plate or dish, combine bread crumbs along with the seasonings in another small, shallow plate or dish.
- Put the cheese sticks in the ziplock bag with the flour. Gently toss the cheese sticks with flour.
- Transfer the flour covered cheese sticks to the egg wash and completely coat the cheese stick with egg wash.
- Then coat each cheese stick in the bread crumbs and cover completely.
- Place cheese sticks on a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper.
- Freeze the cheese sticks on the baking sheet for at least 2 hours. The key is to freeze the cheese sticks before cooking, this ensures the cheese doesn’t overcook or leak out before the outer coating gets golden and crispy!
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees.
- Place frozen mozzarella sticks in a single layer, not touching.
- Spray the tops with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place frozen mozzarella sticks on a parchment paper lined baking sheet in a single layer.
Spray the tops with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Enjoy immediately. These are best served warm.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce like my skinny ranch or this zero point marinara sauce.
Makes 12 mozzarella sticks
2-3 Personal Points™ per mozzarella stick*
*This number shows the Personal Points™ range. The points will vary based on your individualized plan.
- Smart points: GREEN: 3 smart point per stick BLUE/PURPLE: 2 smart points
- It is important to freeze the breaded cheese sticks before cooking so the cheese doesn’t escape the breading during the cooking process.
- Be sure to spray the tops with nonstick spray before cooking-this makes them crisper.