Easy Homemade Burrito Bowls are one of my favorite restaurant copycat dishes to make at home. They’re fresh, healthy, customizable and wallet friendly too since they’re made with fridge and pantry staples like rice, beans, chicken, salsa, and shredded cheese.
3 point per servings
- 1lb chicken breasts, pounded to an even thickness
- 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1-1/2 cups sweet corn kernels (fresh or frozen-then-thawed)
- 4oz freshly shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 small head romaine lettuce, sliced
- For the seasoning mix:
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- For the Cilantro-Lime Rice:
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- juice of 1/2 lime
- For the Quick Guacamole:
- 3 ripe avocados
- juice from 1/2 lime
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- garlic salt, to taste
- Combine the seasonings together in a small bowl then mix to combine. Scoop out 1 Tablespoon seasoning mix then set aside (this will be for the black beans).
- Mist or brush chicken breasts with extra virgin olive oil then season on both sides with remaining seasoning mix (may not need all) and grill for 3-4 minutes a side over medium-high heat until no longer pink in the center. Let rest for 5 minutes then chop and set aside.
- For the Cilantro-Lime Rice: Bring water, oil, and salt to a boil in a saucepan. Rinse rice in a strainer under cold water then add to the boiling water, place a lid on top, turn heat down to medium-low, and then simmer until rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Add lime juice and cilantro then stir to combine and set aside.
- For the Black Beans: Add black beans to a small saucepan with water and reserved 1 Tablespoon seasoning mix. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low to stay warm.
- For the Quick Guacamole: Add all ingredients to a bowl then mash with the back of a fork. Taste and adjust garlic salt if necessary.
- Scoop cooked Cilantro-Lime Rice into bowls then top with grilled chicken, seasoned beans, cherry tomatoes, sweet corn, shredded cheese, romaine lettuce, and Quick Guacamole. Serve with Tabasco sauce and salsa, if desired.