Tomato sauce, rich and comforting. Mozzarella, fresh and creamy. Meatballs, with just the right touch of onion and oregano. It’s like spaghetti night, without the carbs.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 oz. grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- ½ tablespoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 14 oz. canned whole tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 7 oz. fresh spinach
- 2 oz. butter
- 5 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper
Net carbs: 3 % (4 g), Fiber: 3 g, Fat: 72 % (49 g), Protein: 25 % (39 g), kcal: 622
- Place ground beef, parmesan cheese, eggs, salt and spices in a bowl and blend thoroughly. Form the mixture into meatballs, about 1 oz (30 grams) each. It helps to keep your hands wet while forming the balls.
- Heat up the olive oil in a large skillet and sauté the meatballs until they’re golden brown on all sides.
- Lower the heat and add the canned tomatoes. Let simmer for 15 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add parsley and stir. You can prepare the dish up to this point for freezing.
- Melt the butter in a separate frying pan and fry the spinach for 1-2 minutes, stirring continuously. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the spinach to the meatballs. Top with fresh mozzarella cheese, torn into bite-sized pieces. Serve and enjoy.