There are a few options to use as a binder for keto meatballs. I used to use almond flour regularly in my low carb meatballs, but I heard it through the grapevine that crushed pork rinds actually work better.I was really hesitant, but now pork rinds are my FAVORITE meatball binder. They add zero carbs and help hold the meatballs together without drying them out. My family actually can’t tell the difference between low carb meatballs and traditional meatballs when I use pork rinds as a binder. True story. Keto Cheesy Meatballs Marinara – Looking for a great low carb dinner option? This low carb meatballs casserole recipe is absolutely fabulous. It’s a clear winner with the whole family! Meatballs, marinara sauce, and cheese combined together equal heaven here on earth. You’ll want to make it over and over again! Serve over cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles for a complete low carb meal – You really can’t mess up this recipe in any way. It’s amazing how excited one gets over a low carb or keto-friendly recipe. Enjoy!
list for the Low Carb Meatball Casserole
2 lbs (900g) ground turkey
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup grated or shredded parmesan
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons fresh minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper, optional
1/2 teaspoon crushed red chili pepper flakes, optional
1 cup Marinara sauce
1 cup shredded cheese of your choice for topping (Mozzarella, Provolone, Monterrey Jack, Cheddar…)
Fresh basil or parsley, for topping
1. To prepare the meatballs casserole recipe: Preheat your oven to 400ºF (200ºC). Lightly spray a casserole dish with cooking spray.
2. Combine ground turkey, mozzarella, parmesan, egg, onion powder, garlic, Italian seasoning, Cayenne, crushed chili pepper flakes in a large salad bowl – except for the Marinara sauce, 1 cup cheese, and fresh basil that are set aside for the casserole. Use a small cookie scoop to form the meatballs all the same size and arrange the meatballs in the casserole dish.
3. Bake your meatballs casserole for 15 to 20 minutes or until fully cooked. Remove the meatballs casserole from the oven and drain the grease.
4. Top with the low carb Marinara sauce and shredded cheese and put the meatballs casserole back in the oven. Bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes until the cheese has fully melted.
5. Serve the low carb meatballs casserole with a side salad or over zucchini noodles as pictured. Enjoy!
You can also mix 1 lb (450g) ground beef and 1 lb (450g) spicy pork sausage instead of using ground turkey.