keto sushi rolls:
– 1 head of cauliflower
– 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
– 1 tablespoon sesame oil
– 1 tablespoon soy sauce (or tamari for gluten-free)
– Sushi-grade fish or seafood (such as tuna, salmon, or shrimp)
– Vegetables for filling (such as cucumber, avocado, or radish)
– Nori seaweed sheets
– Optional toppings: sesame seeds, green onions, wasabi, pickled ginger
1. Rice Substitute:
– Cut the cauliflower into florets and pulse in a food processor until it reaches a rice-like consistency.
– Transfer the cauliflower rice to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 5 minutes to soften.
– Allow the cauliflower rice to cool, then place it on a clean kitchen towel or cheesecloth. Squeeze out any excess moisture.
2. Seasoning the “Rice”:
– In a small bowl, mix together the rice vinegar and sesame oil.
– Drizzle the mixture over the cauliflower rice and toss to combine. This will add flavor and mimic the taste of sushi rice.
3. Prep the Fillings:
– Slice your chosen fish or seafood into thin strips.
– Cut the vegetables into matchstick-sized pieces.
4. Assembling the Sushi Rolls:
– Place a sheet of nori on a bamboo sushi mat or a clean surface.
– Spread a thin layer of cauliflower rice evenly over the nori, leaving about an inch at the top free of rice.
– Arrange your chosen fillings in a line along the bottom edge of the nori.
5. Rolling the Sushi:
– Using the bamboo mat or your hands, start rolling the sushi tightly from the bottom, applying gentle pressure.
– Wet the top inch of the nori with water to help seal the roll.
– Continue rolling until you reach the top.
– Wet your knife with water and slice the roll into bite-sized pieces.
– Place the sushi rolls on a serving platter.
– Sprinkle with sesame seeds and sliced green onions if desired.
– Serve with soy sauce or tamari, wasabi, and pickled ginger on the side.
Enjoy your homemade keto sushi rolls! Feel free to get creative with the fillings and toppings to suit your taste preferences.