– 4 beef shanks
– 4 cloves of garlic, minced
– 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 large onion, diced
– 2 carrots, diced
– 2 celery stalks, diced
– 2 cups beef broth
– 1 cup red wine (such as Cabernet Sauvignon)
– 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
– 1 bay leaf
1. Preheat your oven to 325°F (163°C).
2. Season the beef shanks generously with salt and pepper on both sides.
3. In a large oven-safe pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Brown the beef shanks on all sides until they develop a nice crust. This step helps seal in the juices and adds flavor.
4. Remove the beef shanks from the pot and set them aside. Reduce the heat to medium.
5. In the same pot, add the minced garlic and chopped rosemary. Sauté for about 1 minute until fragrant.
6. Add the diced onion, carrots, and celery to the pot. Sauté for 5-7 minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
7. Pour in the red wine and deglaze the pot, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom. Allow the wine to simmer for a couple of minutes to cook off some of the alcohol.
8. Add the beef broth, diced tomatoes (with their juices), and bay leaf to the pot. Stir everything together.
9. Return the beef shanks to the pot, nestling them into the liquid and vegetables. The shanks should be mostly submerged in the liquid.
10. Cover the pot with a lid and transfer it to the preheated oven.
11. Cook the beef shanks in the oven for about 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until the meat is tender and falling off the bone. You can check for doneness by inserting a fork into the meat. If it easily slides in and out, the beef shanks are ready.
12. Once cooked, remove the pot from the oven and let it rest for a few minutes.
13. Serve the Garlic & Rosemary Beef Shanks hot, along with the flavorful vegetables and sauce. They pair well with mashed potatoes, creamy polenta, or crusty bread.
Enjoy your delicious Garlic & Rosemary Beef Shanks!