- 1.5 pounds lean beef steak (such as sirloin or round steak), sliced into thin strips
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced (or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (adjust to your spice preference)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Cooking spray or oil for greasing the crockpot
1. Brown the Beef:
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and lightly coat it with cooking spray or a small amount of oil.
- Add the sliced beef strips and quickly brown them on all sides. You don’t need to cook them through; just give them some color.
- Transfer the browned beef to the crockpot.
2. Add Vegetables:
- Layer the sliced onions and bell peppers on top of the browned beef in the crockpot.
3. Prepare the Sauce:
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the low-sodium soy sauce, low-sodium beef broth, minced garlic, minced ginger, black pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Pour this sauce mixture over the vegetables and beef in the crockpot.
4. Cook in the Crockpot:
- Cover the crockpot and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until the beef is tender and the vegetables are cooked to your liking.
5. Thicken the Sauce:
- About 30 minutes before serving, in a small bowl, mix the cornstarch and cold water to create a slurry.
- Stir the cornstarch slurry into the crockpot mixture. This will help thicken the sauce.